04 September 2009

Blanter #11

Welcome to the eleventh instalment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed here. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!

This month’s banter comes to us from Joe Brusati a long time reader of CrazyKinux’s Musing, who asks the following: CCP states that T3 Strategic Cruisers are just the start for the T3 line-up. In future Eve expansions what would you like to see as the next T3 ship type. Please be specific on details about what role this ship would play, cost of manufacturing, and the different modules that would be available for it, and of course you must give your T3 ship a name!


I have to say that I still feel like there is a big neon sign that I just don't see. I don't ever know what the topic is until I see it show up in someone's blanter. Invariably, others are posting before Kinux, so they aren't getting it from him. How do they know what the topic is and who submitted it?

Regardless, I enjoy participating, even if I always feel late.

As to T3 ships, I say start at the beginning: Frigates. Though, I have to say, I am very interested in the T3 possibilities for industrials.

I do have some concerns for a T3 frigate, so I can understand why the T3 cruisers were introduced first. One concern would be where would the T3 frigate fit into the line-up and how much would it cost. A T3 cruiser costs notably more than a navy battleship. I haven't had any time in or against a T3 cruiser, but looking at the stats, I imagine a T3 cruiser could handle a 1-on-1 against a battleship, possibly even a faction one. The T3 cruiser costs less than the Marauders, so I have to imagine they would have their hands full in trying to take one down.

Given this, I'd expect the T3 frigates to cost 50-100M ISK, and for them to be able to easily take out a T1 cruiser. I can't say as I'm excited about that idea.

I wouldn't want T3 frigates to be cruiser killers. I wouldn't want them to be very expensive small ships that disrupt the balance of things.

What I'd want is for them to introduce customizations. I like that you can change the hull of the T3 cruisers, and then fit rigs and modules. The variations are immense. I think T3 frigates would keep us from seeing the same Rifters, Punishers, Jaguars, Enyos, Tristans, Claws, and Crows (and a few others).

As to naming the ships, I'm sorry, I don't have any names to offer. I see where each race has a naming genre, but they have no rhyme or reason within that genre. For example, the Slasher gave way to the Stiletto, which made sense. The Claw doesn't make as much. The Rifter gave way to the Jaguar and Wolf, which doesn't make a lot of sense. It makes even less sense when you see that the Caldari have a Caracal and Scorpion.

As to the modules, I think the frigates should have less options than the cruisers. Currently, the T3 cruisers have five module clusters with four options each. I think the frigates should possibly have only four with three or four options each.

I really do want the ships to be able to fill a great many roles though. Each frigate should have an option for configuring defenses, an option for configuring high slot configuration, an option for configuring power grid/CPU/capacitor, and an option for configuring support activities such as electronic warfare. It really is kind of generic.

Other Blanter's that I've read:


And Kinux's aggregate of the participants.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to have you on board for this banter! As for how word gets around about the next banter, it really simple! I send out a message to the EVE Blog Banter email list I've put together with the subject and date of publishing.

    Since we're all spread out in different timezones, some banters get published before mine. Once mine goes up, I list everyone's articles and ask that others do the same.

    If you want to be part of the group, just drop me an email at crazykinux[at]gmail.com and I'll be adding you to the group!

    Thanks for participating and great article!

    CrazyKinux

    ReplyDelete